Candleridge, part of the James
W. Williams Survey in 1870, the William Wheat Survey in 1856,
and the Ellis Littlepage Survey in 1862, began development as
a residential community in 1975. Rolling ranchland with almost
no trees and eight to ten miles from the Central Business District,
it was owned by several companies and individuals before it
was platted into lots and blocks by the Wedgwood Development
Corporation and others.
One of the individuals who owned
part of 295 acres was oilman, O.C. Armstrong. The Armstrong
Ranch operated until 1974, when it sold to the Wedgwood Development
Corporation. Bankers Life owned some of the land and Dallas
Joint State Bank and Bankers Life Company of Dallas owned part
of it in 1934. The Trailwood Land Company, the Essex Company
and the Bass Brothers were other owners through the years.
As in other neighborhoods developed
on thriving ranchland, the KR and Silver Blue Stem grasses,
native grasses enjoyed by cattle, can be seen sticking up high
above lawns that are not mowed regularly. Also, the restrictions
include the forbidding of drilling for oil, quarrying or mining,
raising livestock or moving old homes or mobile homes onto the
lots. A restriction only mentioned in the newer neighborhoods
forbids TV or radio antennas higher than fifteen feet above
the highest point of the roof.
Included here as the overall area
called Candleridge are Parkwood Estates, Southridge (west of
McCart) and The Meadows (the newer area just north of Columbus
Candleridge claims to have the
largest linear neighborhood park in Fort Worth, encompassing
100 acres including French Lake.
Candleridge has rolling hills
with trees planted by the homeowners, maturing with the development.
The homes are predominately ranch style, appropriate for the
former ranchland, brick, with at least two car attached garages.
There are few sidewalks and no basements, but several greenbelts
and small playgrounds.
The Candleridge Homeowners' Association
is a non-profit organization of homeowners organized in 1978,
whose purpose is to preserve, protect, beautify and improve
the Candleridge sub-division of Fort Worth.
Activities include: Overseeing
the maintenance and expansion of the greenbelt of Candleridge
Park and street medians .Informing members of zoning change
requests affecting the neighborhood. Monitoring violations of
deed restriction . Easter Egg Hunt and July 4th picnic. Crime
Watch block parties.
J.T. Stevens, 6161 Wrigley Way, 817-370-5880
Woodway, 6701 Woodway Dr., 817-370-5890
Wedgwood, 3909 Wilkie Way, 817-370-5830
Wedgwood 6th Grade, 4212 Belden, 817-370-5860
Southwest, 4100 Altamesa, 817-370-5800
South Hills, 6101 McCart
Nearest Fire Station, 6124 S. Hulen, 817-871-6800. Emergencies: 911
Nearest Medical Facilities: Harris Hosp. City View, 6100 Harris Pkwy. 817-346-5000; Baylor All Saints Hosp. City View, 7100 Oakmont Blvd. 817-346-5700.
Nearest P.O., 3701 Altamesa, 817-294-0785
City Council District Number 6
School District Number 6
Voting Precinct Numbers: 1119, 1265, 1105, 1238, 1292 depending
on home location.