The Fairmount neighborhood lies
approximately two miles south of the Fort Worth Central Business
District and is included in the 1855 Joshua N. Ellis survey and
part of the 1863 W. B. Tucker Survey. The area is bounded on
the north by Magnolia Ave., the east by Hemphill, the south by
Jessamine and the west by 8th Ave. The Joshua N. Ellis family
received the original land grant in 1849, the year Camp Worth,
later known as Fort Worth, was founded.
After a railroad boom in 1890,
the 116 acres now known as Fairmount was platted. The city annexed
Fairmount in 1891. Growth slowed until the economy improved in
1902, and by 1909 houses were built to the southern city limits,
Jessamine Street. Street car lines extended down Summit, jogging
east and continuing south on Fairmount St. to Jessamine. Most
of the homes in the area were built by 1920.
During the depression and extending
to the 1950's and 60's, the original families' children moved
away from Fairmount to the newer suburbs, and many of the old
homes deteriorated or were turned into duplexes and rental properties
operated by absentee landlords.
In the 1970's, during the gasoline
shortage, many families returned to Fairmount because of its
closeness to the downtown employers, and because of the beautiful
old architecture waiting to be rediscovered. The Fairmount Association
was formed in 1977, originally to protest a topless bar which
had come into the area. The Association succeeded in having the
bar removed and it continued to promote the neighborhood's interest.
Fairmount is part of the Southside National Register Historic District. Since they are in an historic district, owners of homes in Fairmount are required to get a Certificate of Appropriateness from the Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission of the city of Fort Worth if they plan to make any changes to the exterior of their homes. This process helps preserve the historic nature of the neighborhood and ensures that quality and authentic materials are used, protecting the values of the whole neighbordhood.
The dominant house type is the
wood-frame bungalow. Many of the bungalows have porticos with
detailing. Most of the houses are relatively small in size with
a few two story homes scattered throughout. There are sidewalks
on most of the streets, and many large trees. Some apartment
houses remain and other commercial structures can be found on
8th Avenue and Magnolia Avenue, the west and north boundaries
of Fairmount. Many of the homes have been restored, but many
remain untouched by remodelers.
The Fairmount Association's purpose
is " to promote better communication, promote neighborhood
unity, promote neighborhood improvement, protect and promote
the general welfare of residents and act as an advocate in behalf
of area interests." Activities include a home tour each
spring highlighting historic homes that have been refurbished,
a Crime Watch program, monthly meetings and a newsletter.
De Zavala, 1419 College, 817-922-6590
Lily B. Clayton, 2000 Park Place, 817-922-6660 (A few blocks along 8th Ave.)
E. M. Daggett, 1108 Carlock, 817-922-6550
R. L. Paschal, 3001 Forest Park Blvd, 817-922-6600
Nearest Fire Station: 1301 W. Rosedale, 817-871-6800, emergencies 911
Nearest Medical Facilities: All the hospitals in the Medical
Nearest Post Office: Downtown Station, 251 W. Lancaster, 817-332-3260
Berry Street Station, 2600 8th Ave.
Nearest Grocery Shopping: Eighth Ave.
Nearest Mall: Fort Worth Town Center
Nearest Park: Forest Park
City Council District Number: 9
School District Number: 5
Voting Precinct Number: 1096, 1062, 4071, 4060