South Hills is a large area neighborhood
located approximately five to six miles southwest of the Fort
Worth Central Business District. Included with this history are
the areas called Kellis Park and Seminary Hills, and only the
part of South Hills north of Loop 820. These total areas are
bordered on the east by McCart, on the south by Loop 820, on
the west by Granbury Rd. and Trail Lake and on the north by Seminary
Several general surveys make
up the total of this area including the 1867 Thomas B. Smith
Survey, the 1872 John Jennings Survey, the 1856 Thomas McCanne
Survey and a small part on the southern tip of the 1875 M. J.
Some of the early owners of acreages
in this area include Morgan Jones in 1919 and W.S. Horne in 1912.
John T. Weddington was the original Grantee of the eastern portion
of Kellis Park in 1917.
J.E. Foster and his Westcliff
Company bought the land for Kellis Park in 1949, and developed
it at the same time they developed the Westcliff neighborhood.
Kellis Park was surveyed by Carter & Burgess in 1948.
C. A. Ulrickson owned some of
the land in today's South Hills in 1939. Foster, owner of the
Circle F Ranch bought some of this land in 1954, and with his
Westcliff Company and the Riverside Development Corporation began
developing the land in South Hills in 1959.
In the older section of the neighborhood
deed restrictions did not forbid frame dwellings, and homes had
to be a minimum of 850 square feet. None of the outbuildings
may be used as residences and the restrictions are binding for
the first 20 years after construction, after which time they
are automatically extended every ten years unless a majority
of the owners vote to alter the deed restrictions.