The Wedgwood area lies within
seven surveys approximately eight miles southwest of the Fort
Worth Central Business District. These surveys include the 1891
B.W. Gunn Survey, the 1860 James Shields Survey, the 1875 T&PRR
Company Survey, the 1872 John Jennings Survey, the 1885 Samuel
Michaelias Survey, the 1890 A. Poachman Survey and the 1858
J.M.B. Smith Survey. For this history, the part of South Hills
south of Loop 820 which is commonly thought of as Wedgwood,
The CKS Russom Ranch consisting
of 947 acres, Reynolds Ranch and O.C. Armstrong Ranch made up
most of the Wedgwood area.
Ole K. Bergan owned the 160 acres
in this area in 1898. He sold the land to C.A. Ulrickson in
1939, who subsequently sold the land to the Circle F. Ranch
owned by J. E. Foster in 1954. Other early owners of substantial
acreage were Alice Walker and W. O. Carter. The Carters built
their farm house in 1910, moved it to its present location at
3601 Wooten in 1943 and added on to it in 1945. They sold the
house and the 90 surrounding acres in 1954 to E. L. Baker, a
trustee of the Wedgwood Company, the developers of Wedgwood
as well as the newer part of South Hills. Baker filed a plat
in December 1954, and began developing Wedgwood in 1955. The
southern portion of Wedgwood was under development until 1983.
The 165 acres, originally called
Southwest Hills around South Hills High School, was owned in
1923 by Dr. W. C. Duringer. This land was sold for unspecific
development in 1955, and subsequently sold to Trinity Valley
School in 1967, then to the Fort Worth Independent School District
for a new high school in 1997.
Overgrown lawns in the area show
evidence of former ranch grasses such as KR and Silver Bluestem,
and other native grasses. Very few of the current trees were
present during the area's ranch years.
Deed Restrictions in the area
forbid noxious substances or the creation of a garbage dump.
They also prohibit oil drilling or the raising of livestock.
Homes in Wedgwood must be constructed of brick and be no more
than two stories with a minimum of 1000 square feet on the ground
floor. No building could be used as a night club or for gambling.
Homes in Wedgwood are all brick
with attached garages, and are ranch style design. Most homes
have one story. There are no sidewalks throughout the neighborhood.
The majority of the homes have three or four bedrooms and two,
or two-and- a-half baths. Many homes also contain a living-dining
combination, and kitchen-den with woodburning fireplace.
Most of the street names in the
older part of Wedgwood begin with a "W". That combined
with the curving layout of the area causes newcomers some initial
The Wedgwood East Neighborhood
Association is very active with quarterly meetings with speakers,
a newsletter and emphasis on Crime Watch.
The Wedgwood West Neighborhood
Association is active, particularly in Crime Watch activities.
Bruce Shulkey, 5533 Whitman, 817-370-5870 (North of Welch)
J. T. Stevens, 6161 Wrigley Way, 817-370-5880 (South of Welch)
Westcreek, 3401 Walton, 817-370-5850
Wedgwood, 3909 Wilkie Way, 817-370-5830
Wedgwood 6th Grade, 4212 Belden, 817-370-5560
Southwest, 4100 Altamesa Blvd., 817-370-5800
South Hills, 6101 McCart
Nearest Fire Station: 6124 S. Hulen, 817-871-6800, emergencies: 911
Nearest Medical Facilities: Harris Hospital and Baylor All Saints in City View
Nearest Post Office: Wedgwood Station, 3701 Altamesa Blvd., 817-294-0785
Nearest Grocery Shopping: Altamesa Blvd.
Nearest Mall: Hulen Mall
Nearest Park: Candleridge Park
City Council District Number: 6
School District Number: 6
Voting Precinct Number: 1022, 1207, 1264, 1142, 1004, 1167,
1257 depending on location of home.