The University West neighborhood
is located three miles southwest of the Fort Worth Central Business
District. Originally part of the University Place Addition, it
was included in the 1885 M. J. Arocha Survey, the 1856 A.B. Connor
Survey, and on the western end, in the 1887 J. M. Basques Survey.
It is bordered by Park Hill Drive on the north, University Drive
on the east, Cantey Street on the south and Walsh Court on the
west. The neighborhood association includes the area north of
Park Hill, but that is listed as Colonial/Bellaire in this book.
Much of the land just west of
University Drive was owned and platted by R. L. Rogers and Charles
Gorman. The land near Walsh Court was owned by the R. Vickery
Estate, with C. W. Gibson as trustee. Some of the land around
Shirley and Wabash streets was developed in 1924 by a company
called Bryant's School. The president of this company at that
time was W. Cullen Bryant.
Some of the street names in this
area have been changed from the original names which reflected
the owners of this land. Cantey Street was originally Gibson
Street, Park Hill Drive, west of University Drive, was West View
Street, Highview Terrace was Brandon Street, and Stadium Drive
was Archer Street.
Farther south, Stadium Drive
was called Edgevale until the TCU football stadium was built
on this street in 1929. The other streets had the names they
have today by the early 1930s and in fact, may have changed almost
immediately before they left the drawing boards. However, the
original plats registered at the Tarrant County Courthouse have
the earlier names. The surveyor for the platting of the development
was Brookes Baker, a surveyor in Fort Worth since 1880.
The City of Fort Worth acquired
the land comprising Forest Park in 1909, and Texas Christian
University moved to its present location in 1910. After a street
car line was routed from the Central Business District to the
campus, developers took an interest in the area. Some of the
streets were not paved, however, until after 1930.
Originally, children in the area
attended elementary school in the Brite College Building at Texas
Christian University. TCU Dean, Colby Hall, requested they be
moved, and in 1926 after annexation by the city of Fort Worth,
the Alice E. Carlson Elementary School on Cantey Street was built
for $25,000. This elementary school was expanded in 1934 and
1953, serving University West school children until its closing
in the early 1980s. It has again opened as the Alice Carlson
Applied Learning Center.
University West has an active
neighborhood association participating in the following activities:
Tree planting, neighborhood directories,
special events for children, crimewatch, neighborhood newsletter,
social and informational programs for the general membership.
They successfully prevented a high rise retirement home from
being built in their neighborhood, concerned that such a structure
would detract from their home values and would cause traffic
problems on neighborhood streets.
Tanglewood, 3060 Overton Park West, 817-922-6815
W. P. McLean, 3816 Stadium Drive, 817-922-6830
R. L. Paschal, 3001 Forest Park Blvd., 817-922-6600
Nearest Fire Station: 3501 South Hills Ave., 817-871-6800, emergencies 911
Nearest Medical Facilities: Baylor All Saints Medical Center, 1400 Eighth Ave., 817-927-6102
Nearest Post Office: Trinity River Station, 4450 Oak Park Lane, 817-926-3497
Nearest Grocery Shopping: Tanglewood Center
Nearest Mall: Hulen Mall
Nearest Park: Forest Park
City Council District Number: 9
School District Number: 5
Voting Precinct Number: 1081